Saturday, May 07, 2011

Master of Illusion (Feb 2011) (rewrite 2018)

In my pocket are two fistfuls of silver dollars
-I find them behind your ears sometimes
and a top hat that folds up, a string of silk handkerchiefs (that go on forever)
a deck of cards to play tricks, a wand, a cane and a walking stick
a live bunny, 3 doves and a little tiny mouse,
a few matches, a metal pin, a key and some handcuffs,
a saw of course and a full length coffin,
and all of that is in just one pocket.

I also carry some stretchy balloons for children’s shows
but in order to keep some mystery, really who knows
what secrets lay in a magicians pocket,
this wandering wizard, a one man show
-in my pockets are the dreams
of all people, the ones they think through
and the ones only I know.
Somewhere deep down I hold your fears,
those deep shameful insecurities that
you think are so hidden.
I carry the spiders, snakes, ferocious sharks and bears
the ones from your bed-ridden sweating night terrors.

The regrets and the guilt from
each little mistake
the words that make you cringe
the noises that shake
and I use them, ever
so slightly, delightfully terrorized
before the big reveal
because a trick is an illusion dependent on your worries
and I the master know
you believe your worries are real.


--------Thought I'd try an edit--------

In my pocket
            are two fistfuls, of silver dollars,
            -I find them behind your ears, sometimes.
AND a folded up top hat,
a string of silk handkerchiefs which go on forever,
a deck of cards to play hand tricks,
and of course, my magic scepter.
As well as a wand,
AND a cane,
AND an old walking stick,
but one secret revealed,
             I’m only faking my limp.
A bunny, three doves and a tiny mouse make their home,
but I’d not be the Master, if there weren’t room for more.  
Matches, AND torches, AND machetes to juggle,
handcuffs, a key, a chainwatch to muddle,
your mind, soon defined by my masterful babble.
And in the deep, you’ll find the bite of my saw and its sharp teeth,
The trick not complete,
without a polished full-length, hardwood coffin, 
And my dears, I have ALL OF THAT,  
            - in just one,   pocket.

Like a harmless clown, I also carry stretchy balloons,
for the children’s shows,
but by now you must assume,
that from there it only grows,
because from the harmless, I incarnate,
the fantastical unknown,
what treats, what secrets
might I carry with me,
perhaps fantastically, I promise the imagining of all human beings,
the ones they dream openly,
and those only,  I,    know…       (---------)
YES!
Deep in my clutches, I hold all your doubts
those shameful insecurities that 
you think are so hidden.
And I carry them, within,
my pockets
so slithering
snake wrapped,
defenseless and bare,
spider eyed and bug bitten,
all your dreadful,
night terrors - OF 
falling regret, such chasms of guilt,
each little mistake, that-
spasms to cringe,
and ripples, and trips you
till no safety exists,  
your mouth wide open,
your stomach in grips,
caught in concern,
and bracing in terror,
and that’s when the Master,
knows it is time to reveal,
for awe, is just the truth unbound from your fear,  
but luckily for me, you believe

your anxieties are real.  

No comments: